Dr. James Pierce's
Favorite Quotes from Life in the Universe Essays:
— Proof —
Every term, each student in my Astronomy 115 course (Life in the Universe) was assigned to write an essay giving his or her opinion on the following question:
"Do extraterrestrial technical civilizations currently exist in our Galaxy?"
This group of quotes definitely involves proof. (The typos and misspellings are real, but they are not mine.) The material is presented here without comment; you will have to make up your own.
Essay Quotes: Proof
- There are people out there that don't believe in other technological civilizations that say prove to me that they are out there or they will stick by their beliefs. To them I would say prove to me that they are not out there.
- With all of the special circumstances to communicate, to locate or even if the are currently intelligent extraterrestrial existing somewhere in space, I believe that we will not have any proven evidence to prove that they exist.
- Many times in life I am a person to have to see things to believe them. There are many exceptions to this rule, like before I ever saw the ocean. I had never seen the ocean but I still knew that it existed because it was a proved fact confirmed by scientists.
- The proof, assumptions and equations are all inadequate in our quest for the knowledge of the truth because of the facts that are actually facts only allows us to image and draw more assumptions that in reality may be far from the truth another words there is no proof beyond a reasonable doubt of life in our galaxy or the universe.
- Although there has never been definite proof whether humans are in fact the only intelligent life in the Galaxy, many people still feel strongly about either side of the issue.
- At this point in time it is virtually impossible to preove that this question can be answered with a yes.
- Nothing right now can prove the existence of anything in space besides us, and from that I cannot let myself believe.
- Some believe that we have already been contacted by extraterrestrials but no ample proof has been provided and is very hard to believe.
- I don't believe that unless it can be factually proven that we are just some miracle or anomaly that occurred in the universe.
- Earth is not the only planet in this galaxy with extra terrestrial life. We have proof because of what we have not found.
- I believe that we don't have enough proof that they aren't out there to make a claim that they don't exist.
- I'm not stubborn though. If some kind of proof becomes available to us, then I may change my thoughts about this idea.
Back to the Essay Quotes index page.
Back to Dr. James Pierce's home page.
Created May 12, 2013; last modified March 19, 2021
Send comments or suggestions to
James Pierce - email@example.com