Dr. James Pierce's
Favorite Quotes from Life in the Universe Essays:
— Possibility —
Every term, each student in my Astronomy 115 course (Life in the Universe) was assigned to write an essay giving his or her opinion on the following question:
"Do extraterrestrial technical civilizations currently exist in our Galaxy?"
This group of quotes might be about possibility. (The typos and misspellings are real, but they are not mine.) The material is presented here without comment; you will have to make up your own.
Essay Quotes: Possibility
- So it's possible that extra terrestrial technological civilizations could exist. I think that if they do, they too would want to believe that they are special and that they didn't just get lucky.
- I personally believe that the possibility of aliens in our galaxy is out there.
- Although the possibility of forming life on a planet consists of many factors, I think it is possible.
- I defiantly don't want to rule out the possibility that there are aliens out there, because (as I have stated), I don't know for my self if that is true or not.
- I say yes, they do exist or there is the potential for existence. For the reasons that aliens could exist, keeps scientists debating if they are real.
- I am stll skeptical about the idea of there being other technical civilizations in the galaxy, but I still believe it is a possibility because we have such a large galaxy and it would seem probable that we would not be alone.
- The probability that our galaxy contains star systems in the likeliness of our own seems highly plausible.
- Therefore, the possibility that IETs exist in our solar system is unlikely unless they thrive underground where they cannot be seen from satellites. Thus, they would be very good hiders.
- Another reason that I believe that we are alone is that life is such a rare and precious thing and I believe that the odds of live occurring on another plant is just not possible.
- Although the statics we feel we need to find another Earth like planet is very intense and very specific, I feel it is not impossible.
- Therefore looking at all this information one can only assume that intelligent life forms and a suitable environment are rare but defiantly not impossible. Therefore they would be very hard to find. To be a planet with profound technology is also very hard to find.
- To say that there are extraterrestrial technical civilizations in our galaxy is a great possibility.
- The possibility of life on another planet like earth is likely.
- Our galaxy is very large and I believe there is a good chance that something could be out there.
- The possibility of a technical extraterrestrial civilization existing in our galaxy is extremely small and beyond my imagination.
- I believe the possibility that there is a civilization that is equal to or greater then our own is ideal.
- All I can say is that the possibility and time is out there so yes there are extraterrestrial technical civilizations out there but not necessarily currently.
- The likeliness of another race having out exact history is unlikely, however, not impossible.
- Now, I believe that the chances of a technical civilization like ours may have developed before, or might even develop after ours. So the research we are doing to try to find other technical civilization like ours may never be answered because it may have ended before we were able to know or may not even find intelligent life while we are around.
- The Drake equation, habitable zone, and element abundance all put different restrictions and limitations on the galaxies capability to support any other life forms, but my hypothesis is that the possibility of extraterrestrial life currently existing in our galaxy is exceptionally prominent.
- Essentially, according to the drake equation, the probability of the chance of extraterrestrial life in our galaxy is very likely.
- I feel it's impossible to say it's impossible.
Back to the Essay Quotes index page.
Back to Dr. James Pierce's home page.
Created May 12, 2013; last modified March 19, 2021
Send comments or suggestions to
James Pierce - firstname.lastname@example.org