The AMCOP Student Grants Program was initiated at AMCOP 63 in 2011. At that meeting the membership decided to establish a mini-grant program, run it for 3 years and then evaluate it for its effectiveness. A committee was established to lay out the ground rules of the program and the committee's members stayed on to evaluate the first two rounds of proposals. The committee Chair issues a call for proposals in the spring that will be publicized via email, the AMCOP website, and through the American Society of Parasitologists. Awards are announced at the next AMCOP.
The grant program is administered according to the following guidelines:
The Call for Proposals will be announced annually through this website and through an email to current members of AMCOP. A Call for Proposals for the 2018 Grant program has been announced and the deadline for application is May 16, 2018. Application forms and instructions for their submissionwill are available through the link below .
Previous Grant Recipients
AMCOP Student Research Grants Program
- A total of $1000 is available to be awarded so that at least two grants, one for undergraduate students and the other for graduate students (M.S. or Ph.D.), will be awarded, given there are sufficient high-quality grants. The maximum amount of any grant is $500 and it is up to the discretion of the Grant Committee as to the amount and number of smaller awards.
- Awardees and their mentors are to be members of AMCOP. (Dues are inexpensive: $10 for students, $20 for professionals.)
- Awardees are required to present results of the funded research at the next AMCOP meeting.
- A student may not receive more than two grants
- Grants must be used to support field or laboratory research related expenses (equipment, supplies, or travel to field sites). Salaries, travel to meetings, and purchase of books will not be supported.
- Christina Anaya, Oklahoma State University, Graduate $500
- Janie Miller, Western Illinois University, Undergraduate, $250
- Jason Block, Northeastern Illinois University, Undergraduate, $250
- Ryan Shannon, Oklahoma State University, Graduate, $500
- Ashley Huette, Western Illinois University, Undergraduate, $250
- Alma Mendoza, Northeastern Illinois University, Undergraduate, $250
- Lauren Maestas, University of South Dakota, Graduate, $500
- Shane Mason, Western Illinois University, Undergraduate, $500
- Olivia Choi, Northeastern Illinois University, Graduate, $500
- Sarah Sinclair, Wilmington College, Undergraduate, $500
- Elliott Zieman, Southern Illinois University, Graduate, $500
- David Cordie, Lawrence University, Undergraduate, $250
- Elizabeth Warburton, Western Michigan University, Graduate, $250.
- Heather Stigge, Oklahoma State University, Graduate, $500